The following is a reference for the behavior of the buttons and LEDs on Sparrow hardware.
This guide applies both to the Sparrow Essentials Board and Sparrow Reference Sensor Node.
The behavior of some buttons and LEDs can depend whether the board is currently operating as part of a gateway or a sensor node. In those cases, this guide uses Gateway to denote the behavior when the board is operating as part of a gateway, and Node when the board is operating as a sensor node.
Hold at boot — Enables tracing logs over debug UART.
Gateway — Enters pairing mode.
If the node is unpaired — Enters pairing mode.
If the node is paired — Sends a test message to the gateway.
Press & hold — Enables a soft access point on the attached Wi-Fi Notecard.
Press & hold (30 seconds) — Resets the board to factory settings.
- Press — Power cycles the device.
- Press — Enters bootloader mode (DFU).
PAIR) — Pairing mode
Gateway — The gateway will accept incoming pairing requests.
Node — The node will be pinging, searching for a gateway.
RX) — Receive mode
- Sparrow is waiting for an application to send it data.
TX) — Transmit mode
- The radio is actively sending data.
Blue & Green
- The node is scanning for a gateway (Red will blink with each ping).
Red & Green
- Sparrow is attempting to send data, but waiting for clear air (i.e. listening before speaking).
Red & Green & Blue
Steady on — Sparrow is booting.
On start up — The gateway is connecting to Notehub.
PAIRbutton hold — The soft access point on the attached Wi-Fi Notecard is active.
Flashing — Last operation acknowledgment.
- Three flashes — Factory reset has completed.